Saturday, January 26, 2013

Why We Pray


Christ went away to pray in the garden before the crucifixion. That night Jesus said "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death" (Mark 14:34). Lets stop there. 
Some of us have been in that very place. Some of us know all too well about that gut wrenching desperation. When life delivers unbearable heartbreak, unprecedented dispair, extreme anxiety: Jesus knows how we feel. He felt it too. 

"He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, "My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine."
Even in the face of the most gruesome death imaginable, Jesus prayed for God's will. 
This chapter of the bible absolutely breaks my heart. 

How many times have we prayed for God to change something in our lives? How many hours have we spent praying for OUR will to be done? And how many times have we given up because our prayers aren't answered? 
Maybe we are praying the wrong prayer. Maybe we should instead be praying for God's Will. God listens to our prayers and God answers prayers. But lots of times, God's answer to our prayers is either "no" or "wait". 

Then we ask: 
Why pray if my prayers cannot change the outcome? 

But have we ever considered the internal transformations that occur that in us when we pray? Have you ever noticed the peace that comes over us in the impossible situations? 

Maybe prayer changes our hearts more often than it changes the circumstances.
What if God uses prayer to meet us right where we are and change our perspective on something? The situation may not change, but prayer has the power to change us and our attitude towards a situation. 

 "But those who trust (and wait) for the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

When I was pregnant with Baby Bear, I prayed a lot. 
For the first 2-3 months of my pregnancy, I prayed that God would find the perfect family to adopt Baby Bear. I prayed for MY will: not HIS will. 

One night, my prayer changed. I realized that I had not surrendered the situation to God. It was that night that I prayed the prayer for God's Will to be done in my life. 
From then on, my prayers were different. 
God worked in me day after day and through my prayers, He changed my heart. The situation never changed. At times it actually got worse. But despite the situation, God changed me. He gave me strength. He gave me peace. I knew He was in control. 

I do not believe in luck or coincidences anymore. God's hand is always guiding a situation. I believe in blessings, faith, surrender, and love.  

We have to let go of our will so God's plans can take flight.  
Maybe prayer changes our hearts more often than it changes the circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10